Thursday 23 December 2010

Devil

--

THE HOLY KORAN

Adam and Satan


When your Lord said to the angels: Lo! I am about to place a viceroy in the earth, they said: Will you place therein one who will do harm and will shed blood, while we, we hymn your praise and sanctify you ? He said: Surely I know that which you know not. And He taught Adam all the names, then showed them to the angels, saying: Inform Me of the names of these, if you are truthful. They said: Be glorified! We have no knowledge except that which you have taught us. Lo! you, only you, are the Knower, the Wise. He said: O Adam! Inform them of their names, and when he had informed them of their names, He said: Did I not tell you that I know the secret of the heavens and the earth ? And I know that which you disclose and which you hide.

And when We said to the angels: Prostrate yourselves before Adam, they fell prostrate, all except Eblees. He demurred through pride, and so became a disbeliever.

FIRE

He (God) said: What hindered you that you didst not fall prostrate when I bade you ? (Eblees) said: I am better than him. You createdst me of fire while him you didst create of mud. He said: Then go down hence! It is not for you to show pride here, so go forth! Lo! you are of those degraded. He said: Reprieve me till the day when they are resurrected. He said: Lo! you are of those reprieved. He said: Now, because you have sent me astray, verily I shall lurk in ambush for them on your Right Path. Then I shall come upon them from before them and from behind them and from their right hands and from their left hands, and you will not find most of them beholden (to you). He said: Go forth from hence, degraded, banished. As for such of them as follow you, surely I will fill hell with all of you.

TREE

And We said: O Adam! Dwell you and your wife in the Garden, and eat you freely thereof where you will; but come not nigh this tree lest you become wrong-doers. But Satan caused them to deflect therefrom and expelled them from the state in which they were…

Satan whispered to them that he might manifest to them that which was hidden from them of their shame, and he said: Your Lord forbade you from this tree only lest you should become angels or become of the immortals. And he swore to them: Lo! I am a sincere adviser to you. Thus did he lead them on with guile. And when they tasted of the tree their shame was manifest to them and they began to hide (by heaping) on themselves some of the leaves of the Garden.

FALL

Their Lord called them: Did I not forbid you from that tree and tell you: Lo! Satan is an open enemy to you. They said: Our Lord! We have wronged ourselves. If you forgive us not and have not mercy on us, surely we are of the lost!

He said: Go down, one of you a foe to the other. There will be for you on earth a habitation and provision for a while. He said: There shall you live, and there shall you die, and thence shall you be brought forth.

Then Adam received from his Lord words, and He relented toward him. Lo! He is the relenting, the Merciful.

We said: Go down, all of you, from hence; but verily there comes to you from Me a guidance; and whoso follows My guidance, there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve. But they who disbelieve, and deny Our revelations, such are rightful Peoples of the Fire. They will abide therein.

O Children of Adam! We have revealed to you garment to conceal your shame, and splendid vesture, but the garment of restraint from evil, that is best. This is of the revelations of God, that they may remember. O Children of Adam! Let not Satan seduce you as he caused your parents to go forth from the Garden and tore off from them their robe that he might manifest their shame to them. Lo! he sees you, he and his tribe, from whence you see him not. Lo! We have made the devils protecting friends for those who believe not.

And when they do some lewdness they say: We found our fathers doing it and God has enjoined it on us. Say: God, verily, enjoins not lewdness. Tell you concerning God that which you know not? Say: My Lord enjoins justice.


--


Verily We created man of potter's clay of black mud altered, And the jinn did We create aforetime of essential fire. And) when your Lord said to the angels: Lo! I am creating a mortal out of potter's clay of black mud altered, So, when I have made him and have breathed into him of My Spirit, do you fall down, prostrating yourselves to him. So the angels fell prostrate, all of them together except Eblees. He refused to be among the prostrate. He said: O Eblees! What ails you that you are not among the prostrate ? He said: I am not one to prostrate myself to a mortal whom you have created out of potter's clay of black mud altered! He said: Then go you forth from hence, for lo! you are outcast. And lo! the curse shall be upon you till the Day of Judgment. He said: My Lord! Reprieve me till the day when they are raised. He said: Then lo! you are of those reprieved Till the Day of appointed time. He said: My Lord! Because you have sent me astray, I verily shall adorn the path of error for them in the earth, and shall mislead them every one, except such of them as are your perfectly devoted servants. He said: This is a right course incumbent upon Me: Lo! as for My servants, you have no power over any of them except such of the froward as follow you, And lo! for all such, hell will be the promised place. It has seven gates, and each gate has an appointed portion. Lo! those who ward off (evil) are among gardens and watersprings. (And it is said to them): Enter them in peace, secure. And We remove whatever rancour may be in their breasts. As brethren, face to face, (they rest) on couches raised. Toil comes not to them there, nor will they be expelled from thence. Announce to My servants that verily I am the Forgiving, the Merciful, And that My doom is the dolorous doom.


7.

And when We said to the angels: Fall down prostrate before Adam and they fell prostrate all except Eblees, he said: Shall I fall prostrate before that which you have created of clay ? He said: Seest you this (creature) whom you have honoured above me, if you give me grace until the Day of Resurrection I verily will seize his seed, except but a few. He said: Go, and whosoever of them follows you - lo! hell will be your payment, ample payment. And excite any of them whom you canst with your voice, and urge your horse and foot against them, and be a partner in their wealth and children, and promise them. Satan promises them only to deceive. Lo! My servants - over them you have no power, and your Lord suffices as (their) guardian.

8.

And when We said to the angels: Fall prostrate before Adam, and they fell prostrate, all except Eblees. He was of the Jinn, so he rebelled against his Lord's command. Will you choose him and his seed for your protecting friends instead of Me, when they are an enemy to you ? Calamitous is the exchange for evil-doers. I made them not to witness the creation of the heavens and the earth, nor their own creation; nor choose I misleaders for (My) helpers. And (be mindful of) the Day when He will say: Call those partners of Mine whom you pretended. Then they will cry to them, but they will not hear their prayer, and We shall set a gulf of doom between them. And the guilty behold the Fire and know that they are about to fall therein, and they find no way of escape thence.

9.

These are they to whom God showed favour from among the prophets, of the seed of Adam and of those whom We carried (in the ship) with Noah, and of the seed of Abraham and Israel, and from among those whom We guided and chose. When the revelations of the Beneficent were recited to them, they fell down, adoring and weeping.

10.

Thus we have revealed it as a Book in Arabic, and have displayed therein certain threats, that peradventure they may keep from evil or that it may cause them to take heed. Then exalted be God, the True King! And hasten not with the Koran before its revelation has been perfected to you, and say: My Lord! Increase me in knowledge. And verily We made a covenant of old with Adam, but he forgot, and We found no constancy in him.

And when We said to the angels: Fall prostrate before Adam, they fell prostrate (all) except Eblees; he refused. Therefor we said: O Adam! This is an enemy to you and to your wife, so let him not drive you both out of the Garden so that you come to toil. It is (vouchsafed) to you that you hungerest not therein nor are naked, And that you thirstest not therein nor are exposed to the sun's heat. But the devil whispered to him, saying: O Adam! Shall I show you the tree of immortality and power that wastes not away ? Then they twain ate thereof, so that their shame became apparent to them, and they began to hide by heaping on themselves some of the leaves of the Garden. And Adam disobeyed his Lord, so went astray. Then his Lord chose him, and relented toward him, and guided him. He said: Go down hence, both of you, one of you a foe to the other. But when there come to you from Me a guidance, then whoso follows My guidance, he will not go astray nor come to grief. But he who turns away from remembrance of Me, his will be a narrow life, and I shall bring him blind to the assembly on the Day of Resurrection. He will say: My Lord! Wherefor have you gathered me (hither) blind, when I was wont to see ? He will say: So (it must be). Our revelations came to you but you didst forget them. In like manner you are forgotten this Day. Thus do We reward him who is prodigal and believes not the revelations of his Lord; and verily the doom of the Hereafter will be sterner and more lasting. Is it not a guidance for them (to know) how many a generation We destroyed before them, amid whose dwellings they walk ? Lo! therein verily are signs for men of thought.

11.

When your Lord said to the angels: Lo! I am about to create a mortal out of mud, And when I have fashioned him and breathed into him of My Spirit, then fall down before him prostrate, The angels fell down prostrate, every one, except Eblees; he was scornful and became one of the disbelievers. He said: O Eblees! What hinders you from falling prostrate before that which I have created with both My hands ? Are you too proud or are you of the high exalted ? He said: I am better than him. You createdst me of fire, whilst him you didst create of clay. He said: Go forth from hence, for lo! you are outcast, And lo! My curse is on you till the Day of Judgment. He said: My Lord! Reprieve me till the day when they are raised. He said: Lo! you are of those reprieved until the day of the time appointed. He said: Then, by your might, I surely will beguile them every one, except your single-minded servants among them. He said: The Truth is, and the Truth I speak, That I shall fill hell with you and with such of them as follow you, together. Say (to mankind O Prophet): I ask of you no fee for this, and I am no pretending. Lo! it is naught else than a reminder for all peoples And you will come in time to know the truth thereof.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment